PR-WMP-7506 Let Your Voice Be Heard! – Songs From Ghana & Zimbabwe, by Abraham Adzenyah, Dumisani Maraire, and Judith Cook Tucker
A classic, now in a beautifully redesigned, user-friendly 10th Anniversary Edition! Here is a unique collaboration between two outstanding African master musicians and their American student, a multicultural music specialist.
This lively collection includes 19 game songs, story songs, and richly textured multipart songs from the vocal traditions of the Akan people of Ghana and the Shona of Zimbabwe. These vibrant songs and stories stress the importance of active, responsible participation in society. Full, exuberant participation is also the norm in African music-making, where everyone is invited to take part in creating a unified voice that resonates with the spirit of community.
“This music is offered in friendship to all people. Black, white, yellow, red, or brown, our bonds grow stronger when we let our voices be heard!” (from the Introduction)
This book-audio set includes:
- Authentic arrangements in unison, 2, 3, and 4 parts, many with percussion
- 19 Full-size, reproducible musical transcriptions
- In-depth cultural context, performance suggestions and game directions
- Rock passing, stick, name and hand game songs
- Story songs told by Dumisani Maraire, each with a reproducible printed version of the narrative and song
- Songs in original language with phonetic pronunciation and full translation
- Maps; historical and geographical information
- Numerous photos of musicians, instruments and the countryside
- Illustrations include stamps and money from Ghana and Zimbabwe
- Annotated Bibliography
The companion audio CD features every song and percussion ensemble in the book, with pronunciation where appropriate, and both studio and field recordings.
Kye Kye Kule
Zangaiwa Chakatanga Pano