JS1 Stories That Sing
Stories That Sing is a collection of music and literacy lessons for PreK – Gr. 5 students based on 17 storybooks. It includes songs and musical activities for PreK-5th grade and activities that integrate literacy skills with music skills. Your students will love these fun, interactive lessons that give them the opportunity to sing, move, and play instruments while they are learning. These activities are all designed around vibrant, animated stories that children love, full of lively characters and big adventures. These activities will keep your students engaged and listening while they learn music skills, comprehension skills, sequencing skills, new vocabulary, and so much more. If you don’t have all of the storybooks, most are available to read along with on YouTube. All of the storybooks can be ordered from Amazon.
The disk that comes with the book includes a projectable PDF for every lesson. Also included are flashcards and worksheets when suggested in a lesson. Background music, music for dancing or movement, and songs to sing are included for many stories.
What’s Included in Stories That Sing?
• Flash cards with rhyming words, action words, or events used in sequencing
• Instrument and music vocabulary for non-music specialists
• Templates to aid teachers in creating their own stories that sing
• Dance/movement rubrics
• Music composition, music sssessment and story elements worksheets
• MP3s of songs, classical music excerpts, background music, and music for movementMusic Objectives are included with each lesson. Students will have a chance to play a variety of rhythm instruments and Orff instruments. They will work in groups to compose new songs, create dance movements based on the events of a story and improvise simple melodies. Integrating music objectives and storybooks makes for a more interactive learning experience. Literacy Objectives are also included with each lesson. Students will be able to identify and define new vocabulary words, rhyming words and opposite words. Activities in each lesson will have students identify the sequence of events, retell or summarize a story, discuss cause and effect, identify characters and settings and follow the steps of the writing process to create compositions.
Music and Literacy Lessons:
|– Up Up Down storybook music lesson
– Tacky the Penguin storybook music lesson
– Good News Bad News storybook music lesson
– Chicka Chicka Boom Boom storybook music lesson
– Deep in the Swamp storybook music lesson
– One Duck Stuck storybook music lesson
– Dinosaur Roar! storybook music lesson
– When Cows Come Come storybook music lesson
|– A Frog in a Bog storybook music lesson
– Down by the Cool of the Pool storybook music lesson
– Dinosaurumpus storybook music lesson
– Ellison the Elephant storybook music lesson
– Wet Dog storybook music lesson
– Boy Can He Dance storybook music lesson
– Oh, the Places You’ll Go! storybook music lesson
– The True Story of the Three Little Pigs storybook music lesson
– Earthdance storybook music lesson