ING047 It’s Ok To Say They / Paperback by Christy Whittlesey
It’s OK to Say “They” addresses some of the pervasive challenges that can impact every part of a student’s day:
- When teachers refuse to acknowledge a student’s gender identity
- When students are assigned to sit by gender in class or on the bus
- When a student is not allowed to use facilities or changing rooms that align with their gender identities
- When a curriculum does not acknowledge transgender and nonbinary identities
- When teachers and school policies use exclusionary gender-based language
Incorporating the real-life experiences of transgender and nonbinary students, It’s OK to Say “They” offers educators practical tools they can use to foster an inclusive environment for transgender and nonbinary students. This easy-to-use guide is a resource for educators and administrators seeking to be better allies to students. By avoiding gendered language practices, designing inclusive curricula, and creating conscientious school policies that take into account the needs of transgender and nonbinary students, educators can create inclusive spaces for students of all genders.
A portion of the proceeds from sales of this book benefits San Diego LGBT Pride youth programs. Learn more about their work at www.sdpride.org/youth/.